Go Back


BAC/EE Preston Cricket Club

Chairman: David Wilcock
Chris Greenall

1st XI Captain: Steve Lodge
1st XI Vice Captain:
Jamie Skeoch

2nd XI Captain: Martin Hothersall

3rd XI Manager:
David Wilcock

Website: www.baceeprestoncc.co.uk

The club played in the Palace Shield from 1922 as Dick Kerr's, a team from the engineering factory in Strand Road, Preston did not rejoin after the war. A ground at Ashton Park was used at this time, shared for several seasons with Bradshaws and Loxhams. The club was strong and successful in the 1920s, with two hat-tricks, in winning the Palace Shield 1924 - 26 and 1928 - 30. In 1929 Dick Kerr's bowler, B.F. Morgan set a record for the number of wickets in a season of 111 at 4.9 runs, which stands to the present day, and other players from the club appeared regularly in the league representative sides. The club was re-elected to the Competition as English Electric in 1953, going straight into the First Division, mainly on account of the excellent facilities at the new Riverside ground. This has remained one of the best in the Palace Shield, hosting a succession of finals and representative matches over the years.

The 1960s was the period of the club's greatest success, winning the Palace Shield four times and the Palace Cup twice with two Meyler Cup successes. In 1967 and again in 1978 the club achieved the rare feat of winning the 'double' of Palace Shield and Meyler Cup. The names of many of the players who contributed to this success, Pallett, Keane, Gillibrand, Lidderdale, Moon and later, Sharples, Seed, Millar and Gill were well known and respected, appearing regularly as winners of batting and bowling awards.

The club has been less successful in recent seasons but retained its place in Division A until 1999. A greater problem has been the threat to the ground at Riverside with the prospect of redevelopment. This has been resisted through the efforts of the present officials of the club, with the support of the Competition and the LCB. The club is now working positively with the new owners on the site to ensure the continuance of cricket and the preservation of a superb sporting facility in this area of Preston.